The National Honor Society At Los Fresnos High School

Tiare Delgado, Staff Writer

The National Honor Society is a student-run organization where Los Fresnos High School juniors and seniors can earn volunteer hours and experience through participating in community service projects. Students gain membership through an application process at the end of their sophomore year and are inducted into the chapter at the beginning of their junior year. Throughout their junior and senior year, members participate and volunteer in projects organized by others, usually a second year, members.

This program is run by student officers and a faculty sponsor. At Los Fresnos High School, AP Biology teacher, Mrs. Rivera sponsors and oversees the chapter. The five officer positions are President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Parliamentarian. They are chosen after an extensive application process and they serve their term for an entire school year.

This year, due to Covid-19 restrictions, NHS looks a little different. Members meet through monthly zoom calls and are only able to volunteer through virtual events or events that require little to no contact. Despite that, NHS President, Kiara Garcia, seems optimistic about the future of NHS this school year. “We still plan to help to help out with school events, possible peer tutorials, and countless other virtual volunteer projects!”, Kiara Garcia stated during a virtual interview.  Currently, NHS officers are working on organizing plans for their next projects and fundraising opportunities.

Through involvement in the NHS chapter, members are not only able to gain volunteer hours and experience but also gain important leadership skills. Members have the opportunity to present a volunteer idea and then chair a committee who then organizes and plans the event to presents it to the rest of the members. As a result, members can collaborate on solutions to problems that may be plaguing their community. “Being an NHS member allows you to serve your community, surround yourself with other high-achieving students, motivates you to keep your grades up, and looks great on college applications”, president Kiara Garcia said it best.