LFCISD Teachers Share Their Teaching Experiences

Elianne Tolosa, Staff Writer

Teacher Appreciation Week at LFCISD was celebrated two weeks ago. LFCISD students, schools, and communities give back to those who prepare students for brighter futures. In the spirit of celebrating our educators, Elianne Tolosa interviewed a few teachers in the district who had the most impact on her regarding their feelings about teaching, their careers, and their advice for upcoming teachers.

Mrs. Ortiz is a 7th-grade reading teacher at Los Cuates middle school. With her warmth and kindness, she has managed to leave a deep impression on the hearts of her students. Here are some of her thoughts. 

How do you feel about your career as a teacher?

Overall, I have had a really good teaching experience.  I taught for five years in Brownsville, and I have spent the last 24 years at Los Cuates Middle School.

What are your favorite stories of how you’ve impacted your students?

It is always exciting to see past students and see their successes.  I like to hear about how my class affected them and to see the person that they have become. I just hope that they remember that reading is a fun thing to do and that I care about them as people.

What advice would you give to new teachers?

We were always told don’t smile the first semester, but that was a big mistake.  You have to have a relationship with your students.  If they know that you care, they will do their best for you.

Mr. Portier taught history at Los Cuates but now teaches at Los Fresnos United. His adoration for history encourages his students to pursue a greater understanding and interest on the subject. 

I am very passionate about History and I have been given the opportunity to share that passion and knowledge with my students. I go to work every day and talk about topics in the past that continue to shape our future as a whole.

Certainly, Teachers have a very significant, lifelong impact on all of their students. As Teachers, we not only teach academic skills but always try and relate our content to the real world. I have seen many of my former students as professionals now, Nurses, Teachers, Engineers, etc., and realized that fostering of student self-esteem in the classroom is associated with increased motivation and learning allowing students to achieve their lifelong dreams. I would just like to be remembered as being interesting and passionate about History and hopefully, students will know that I always cared about them, as well.

Today more than ever, relationships matter more than anything. Do what you love, be yourself, know your students, and connect your content/curriculum to their world. Always inspire your colleagues and let your colleagues inspire you, as well. Finally, one day at a time, and remember the real reason you are a teacher today!

Mrs. Garza is a retired writing teacher who just a few years ago taught writing at Los Cuates Middle School. She approached teaching with a delicate, understanding method. She prepared her students for the countless essays they had ahead of them in their education.

I loved teaching. Working with children has always been my passion. Although there were good days and bad days, overall my teaching years were great. Every day was different; it was never boring. I enjoyed working with different students and getting the opportunity to help them not only academically but also guide them into responsible young adults.

Something that keeps teachers going year after year, especially after a rough year, is a student coming back years later to say hi and to thank them for making a positive impact in their life. It makes me feel good when I am out and about and I run into a student that I have had in the past. To see their smiling faces as they ask, “Do you remember me Mrs.?” To hear their stories about how I made an impact on where they are now brings joy to my heart. I am fortunate that I am actually friends with some of them today. One of them actually taught me to ride a bike in my older years, and boy does he love reminding me now that he is returning the favor and is now my teacher. I just hope my students remember that I truly cared about them. That I was interested in them being successful not only in the classroom.

Mrs. Montes is a pre-cal and college algebra teacher here at Los Fresnos High School. Her belief and encouragement towards her students pushes them towards the direction of success. 

It’s good. Every student is different which makes life fun

Most students come to class with a lack of knowledge and by the end of the year, I notice a growth in knowledge and confidence. I hope that they know I believe in them despite them not believing in themselves. 

You have to start off strict and then slowly loosen the reigns.