Falling for the Season

Nataly Garcia, Staff Writer

It’s finally that time of year!

Even though we live at the hottest tip of Texas, we can still enjoy what the fall season has to offer. With that, here are activities you can do throughout this spooky time of the year. 

Watch fall movies 

From scary to comedies to family-friendly, there are an unlimited amount of movies to watch with friends, family, a loved one, or by yourself. 

Down below are some of my personal favorites for the season:

Halloweentown 
Coraline 
It 
Nightmare Before Christmas 
Beetlejuice 
Twitches 
Casper
Ghostbusters 
Harry Potter 
Hocus Pocus 
The Conjuring 

And on September 30th, there will be the premier of Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney Plus, which will feature the return of the Sanderson sisters, who haven’t been seen since the year of 1993 when the first movie came out. 

Go shopping

As I say again, yes even though the weather and climate here in the valley makes wearing coats and sweaters unbearable. Nevertheless, you can still add things to spice up your autumnal months. 

You can wear halloween themed shirts or clothing ranging from the oranges, browns, reds, and yellows of fall. You can even add purple and black to create that spooky feel. 

And the fun thing is that if you don’t want to purchase for a high-price, you don’t have to. Places like Goodwill, Texas Thrift, or random thrift stores allow you to find hidden gems in cheaper settings. 

Pumpkin Patch 

I highly recommend this to all!! Go to a pumpkin patch. Even if you aren’t going to purchase a pumpkin, go. The atmosphere at the patches are different. Dress yourself up (could be in a cute fall fit or the clothing of your choice) and feel the energy of the autumnal season. 

My recommendation for you is to make sure to look at the weather first online, on the weather app, or on the news. You wouldn’t want to be wearing a wool 5 foot thick coat in 90 degree heat. Also try to go at a time where there aren’t as many individuals, so it doesn’t affect your experience. 

This leads me to my next item, pumpkin carving. 

Carve Pumpkins 

If the pumpkin patch is not your scene, that’s totally fine. However, if you still want to do something regarding the fall season, I recommend pumpkin carving.

Pumpkin carving allows you to have fun, get creative, and fall into the season. 

This could be a fun get together for you and your friends, a moment between family, or a time to let your creative juices flow. 

You might get a bit messy, so I would definitely suggest for you to wear an old used shirt. 

You can find the tools you need to pumpkin carve pretty much any store. Walmart, Sams, and Target offer great carving kits. 

Read Novels 

There is nothing like reading a good book in your coziest sweater, in a room lit with fall-scented candles, while outside a cold front just blew in, causing the burnt orange leaves to fall from trees. Okay, so this may be true in some parts of the world, but not here. Our cold front is more like a light breeze. Anyway, even though we might not wear our coziest sweaters in chilly weather, we can still enjoy a good book filled with the spirit of autumn itself. 

Voted on Epic’s Read Top 26 YA Horror Books and some personal favorites, here are a few options involving mystery, horror, and crime to spice up the season: 

• Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
  • House of Hollow by Kristal Sutherland
  • One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
  • The Demon Makes Three by Tori Bovalino
  • Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

Go to football games 

Luckily Los Fresnos has their very own high school  football team in case you didn’t know. 

Their schedule is listed on the Los Fresnos CISD school site. I 100% recommend for you to go if you’re a student because at home games there are themes to participate in. On October 21st the theme will be Pink Out, and during the month of November, the theme will be Neon Night. You can create a fun look while still repping some school spirit. Be sure to attend and show some support for the Falcons. 

Dress Up for Halloween 

Yes, we are in high school, I understand that. We are older than the other little younglings who go trick or treating, wear the cute costumes, and eat all the candy they desire. But that doesn’t mean we don’t have to dress up. It’s the one night of the year where we can be someone else or something else for a change 

Even if you don’t want to go treating, then don’t go. But if you do, then hey, good for you; you get free candy. This is the time though to have fun, dress up, and get into the holiday.

In fact here are some costume looks you can do:

Single 

• A Greek God/ Goddess 
  • Cupid 
  • Pirate 
  • Fairy 
  • Witch 
  • Space Cowgirl/boy

Duos

• Angel/Devil 
  • Woody & Buzz
  • Sun/Moon 
  • The Fairy Odd Parents 

Groups

• Scooby Doo gang 
  • Charlie’s Angels
  • Wizard of Oz 

Couples

• Lilo and Stitch 
  • Anakin and Padmé
  • Alice in Wonderland and Mad Hatter 
  • Woody and Jessie 

Overall, you can do many things for the autumnal season. And yes, we may live at the tip of  South Texas, but you can still have a fun fall season of picking pumpkins, lighting candles, and dressing up for Halloween night.