Los Fresnos CISD Expands its CTE Program by Adding Patient Care Technician/Phlebotomy Program

Naomi Hinojosa, Staff Writer

Introduction

Los Fresnos CISD has been adding new programs the last few years that help students get certified in the field of their chosen pathway. The most recent addition by the district was to begin a new program that will allow students to gain two certifications in the health science path as a Phlebotomy Technician and [or] Patient Care Technician. They have already confirmed their first batch of students in the program with a good result for the majority of the class to pass their certifications. These new graduates and upcoming generations now have this open door to be able to get a job in the field they desire to pursue their career in. 

More To Know About The Program

Many of the other health science certification programs only provide the opportunity to gain one certification. However, the Phlebotomy Technician/Patient Care Technician program gives the opportunity to earn the double of that amount typically offered. With double the certification, students will learn twice as much and gain an amazing experience throughout the course of the program. Not only will students construct relations in a medical aspect, but they will see social improvement. In the program, students will practice and use a lot of communication, which will better prepare them for the working field. The program is challenging, but it will sculpt them to become the most determined, strong-willed Falcons they can be.

I strongly believe this program will create hardworking students that will meet our district’s profile of a graduate: innovative thinkers and leaders, effective communicators, conscientious citizens, and life-long learners,” Program Instuctor Luis Muniz said. “They will possess basic patient care skills that will help with their future careers in the medical field. Another great outcome of this program is that students will have a chance to sit for two national certifications; Patient Care Technician/Assistant and Phlebotomy Technician .”

The current pandemic has been one of the central issues for the past two years. The medical field is in high demand for more healthcare professionals. There is a severe drought and exhaustion among this field due to the pressure of the pandemic that has put upon the people working and interested in the field. With this opportunity, it means that once the student obtains those two certifications,  they are highly qualified to be able to get a job right after graduation .With these two certifications, they will have a high possibility to be accepted into that medical school of their desire. 

What is a Patient Care Technician?

A Patient Care Technician (PCT) is a healthcare professional who assists other professionals of their patients’ basic care. PCTs assure the patient’s vitals, glucose (sugar) levels, blood pressure, baths, in assistance to use the restroom, etc. These health care professionals tend to earn an estimate of $22,039 up to $35,885 annually in Texas. 

What is a Certified Phlebotomy Technician? 

A Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) is a healthcare professional that obtains and collects blood from patients to be sent off into the laboratory for the diagnosis or follow up of a medical condition or illness. However, they do not only obtain blood samples, but also body fluid samples, too. CPTs are certified to obtain these collections correctly and earn an estimation of $31,213 to $38,708 yearly. 

Both of these certifications earn a good amount of income for young adults who are starting their careers.