The student news site of Los Fresnos High School in Los Fresnos, Texas

The Pros and Cons of Having a Summer Job

May 13, 2021

The Controversy Behind Summer Jobs

Every summer more and more teens are getting summer jobs in their hometown in order to do amazing things, however, there are many pros and cons to this. People often will encourage these teenagers to get a job so they can learn responsibility and hard work. However, it also has cons as well as pros. People do not think of how time-consuming and tiring having a summer job is. So before making a decision make sure to know what you are getting yourself into.

Cons Of Having A Summer Job

Some cons of having a summer job are how time-consuming it is. You will have less time to work out, hang with friends, do your housework, and study for school. Other cons of having a summer job are that it can also be mentally and physically draining. Although you take breaks in between, it is quite common for you to come across customers who are looking for a battle. You should consider these cons very carefully. However, you should not let it stop you from getting a summer job completely. The only person to make that decision is you.

Pros Of Having A Summer Job

Summer jobs, although a huge responsibility, is not all bad. You can actually have a lot of fun working and meeting new people. There are many pros to working a summer job. A pro of working a summer job is the meeting of new people and new activities. You start to form friendships with the people you work with and the regular customers you see on the daily. It makes your contacts broader. Another pro of working a summer job is the main reason most people get a job in the first place. That is to earn money. With the money you earn yourself, the things you buy have more value to you. One last pro of working a summer job is that it keeps you from being bored during the summer. Although we would like to have plans every day we mostly end up just spending time in our rooms doing nothing.

Where To Look For A Summer Job

Places are constantly hiring young eager workers. By going online and doing research for jobs in your area, you can find many interesting jobs. Such as lifeguarding, waitressing, or a member for a clothing store. However, always ask your parents about their thoughts and feelings before applying and going to interviews. For example, a cool summer job a lot of kids do here in the valley is life guarding at the island.

Advice To You

My advice to you is that you do as much research as you can. Try not to go overboard with the work because then you will burn yourself out. Working can be your greatest blessing but also your greatest curse, it is up to you to decide which one is which. Deciding to get a summer job is a big decision, it is important for you to make the right one always.

The Talon • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Talon Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *